Monday, September 14, 2009

UbD and DI Chapter 5

This chapter taught me that when profiling a student, I need to be sure to base judgment on a wide variety of factors and not a single test (photo albums versus snapshots). It is important that we test whether a student understands something, not just if they know. We should be teaching so that students understand big ideas. I was introduced to the GRASPS frame, a useful tool. I also learned that it is important to assess before we teach so that we can gauge previous understanding of a topic. It is also a good idea when assessing student to offer choices that are appropriate for the subject being covered, and feedback on these assignment should be given early and often. The most important piece to remember is that the importance of effective assessment lies more in being able to properly assess ourselves as teachers. This way we will not make the same mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment